Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management & Public Safety | Frederick Community College

Girl laptop - Police in classroom - Man on laptop

Credit Conversion Program

Credit Conversion Model

FEMA Logo Identifies EM Needs  FEMA & EMI Logos Delivers Self-Paced Online Courses  MACEM & FCC Logos Awards Academic Credit

In support of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) goals, FEMA's  Emergency Management Institute (EMI) and Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) offer self-paced online courses free of charge for individuals with emergency management responsibilities and the general public.

The Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management & Public Safety at Frederick Community College (MACEM&PS|FCC) recognizes successful completion of the courses and awards college credit for coursework that meets FCC standards.

Credit Conversion Benefits

College credits awarded for FEMA courses can be used towards an academic program at FCC or to advance your career by fulfilling job credentials and professional development requirements. The Credit Conversion Program allows you to:

  • Complete online FEMA courses for free at your own pace
  • Acquire critical, relevant emergency management information
  • Earn college credits or a degree

Credit Conversion Process

Convert FEMA courses into college credit through the Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management & Public Safety at Frederick Community College (MACEM&PS|FCC).

Two-Step Process:

  1. Use the FCC Course List to review the FEMA courses that are eligible for college credit.

    FCC Course List
  2. Submit the Credit Conversion Request Form to earn college credit for your FEMA course completions.

    Credit Conversion Request Form

Credit Conversion Tips

  • Use the College Credit Checker prior to submitting a Credit Conversion Request Form.
  • If you have already earned college credit through the Credit Conversion Program at FCC, request an FCC unofficial transcript to view your current record.
  • Make sure you complete all courses required for the college credits you wish to earn.
  • Send an official FEMA course record to MACEM&PS|FCC documenting successful completion of the required FEMA courses. (See Step 1 within the Credit Conversion Request Form)
  • Check your email regularly, including your spam folder, for communication from MACEM&PS|FCC.

Program Details

Credit Conversion Basics

  • Credit conversion cost is $90 per credit.
  • College credit is assigned a ‘P’ for Passing. A ‘P’ is equivalent to a grade of ‘C’ or better and does not factor into calculating GPA.
  • FEMA courses must be completed prior to requesting college credit.
  • Status updates will be sent via email.

Processing Time: 2-3 weeks

  • MACEM&PS|FCC will notify you via email when your college credit is posted to your student record.  The email is titled “Your Credit Conversion Request has been processed!”
  • It is important for you to wait to request an official FCC transcript until after you receive this email confirmation.
  • An official FCC Transcript can be requested through Parchment.  

Semester Dates

  • Summer 2024 Semester: 5/29/24 - 8/23/24
  • Fall 2024 Semester: 8/24/24 - 1/2/25
FCC courses are posted to preassigned semesters that correspond to the academic calendar. This means that the FCC transcript reflects FCC course completion within a designated semester and does not reflect the date that the FEMA course was completed. 

Credit is awarded year-round. The date that your Credit Conversion Request Form is received will initiate when your credit will be posted; however, we will honor your request for credit within the academic semester that you meet all criteria listed below.

To obtain credit within your desired academic semester:
  • The required FEMA EMI and/or CDP course(s) must be completed any time prior to the end of the desired academic semester
  • The Credit Conversion Request Form must be completed within the desired academic semester.
  • Your official course record must be sent to FCC within the desired academic semester.


For questions related to requesting college credit for your FEMA course completions or to check on the status of your credit conversion request, please contact [email protected].

Contact FEMA

For questions related to EMI IS courses, please contact the Independent Study Program Office at [email protected] or 301-447-1200.
For questions related to your FEMA Student ID, please contact the Help Desk at [email protected] or 866-291-0696.
For questions related to CDP courses, please contact [email protected] or 256-847-2132.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know what college credits to select on the Credit Conversion Request Form?
Please choose college credit based on the EMI IS and/or CDP courses you have completed successfully. Note that each FCC course is equal to 1 college credit. FCC courses are identified by the term FEMA followed by three numerical digits.

If you would like a copy of your IS course record, please visit FEMA’s EMI Student Portal.

Can I submit more than one Credit Conversion Request Form if I want to earn some credits now and some credits later?
You sure can! Just be sure to review your FCC student record prior to submitting a new credit conversion request to avoid requesting duplicate credit.

Also, please be mindful that when FEMA updates EMI IS and/or CDP coursework, MACEM&PS|FCC may update the FCC Course List as well. Learn more under the “IS Courses” heading below.

Once I submit the Credit Conversion Request Form, how long does it take to post my college credit to an FCC transcript?
Validating and awarding college credit takes approximately 2-3 weeks. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from MACEM&PS at FCC once your request for college credit has been processed.

What should I do if I made an error within my credit conversion request?
Please reach out to MACEM&PS|FCC for assistance by e-mailing [email protected].


What is the difference between the FEMA course record and the Frederick Community College (FCC) transcript?
The FEMA course record reflects your EMI IS and/or CDP course completions and CEU (Continuing Education Unit) amounts. The FCC transcript details the college credit(s) you have obtained through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801.

If you are looking to submit a transcript to another institution or employer that lists your college credit, please request the FCC transcript.

How can I obtain an official transcript of my college credits?
Students may request an FCC official transcript here. Effective July 1, 2024, there will be a price increase for official transcripts. The new costs will be:
-$8.00 fee for an electronic transcript
-$10.50 fee for a paper transcript to be mailed via USPS.

Please do not request a transcript until you receive a confirmation email from MACEM&PS at FCC that your credit conversion request has been processed. Transcripts requested prior to receipt of the MACEM&PS confirmation email will not reflect the courses recently converted. No refunds are provided for requesting transcripts too early.

What versions of the FEMA courses will be accepted towards credit?
The current or previous version of a FEMA course will be accepted for conversion into credit.

For example, FCC will accept credit for successful completion of IS-230.e (current version) OR IS- 230.d (previous version). Please note that earlier versions (IS-230, IS-230.a, IS-230.b, and IS-230.c) can no longer be converted into college credit.

The FEMA course that I completed is not listed as a course that is available for college credit. What does this mean?
Unfortunately, not all FEMA courses are eligible for college credit. The FEMA courses that are eligible for credit conversion can be found within the FCC Course List.

I took a FEMA course that was available for college credit when I completed it, but the course has since been pulled from FEMA’s website for revision or retirement. Can I still receive college credit?
Any course that is worth college credit at FCC will continue to be awarded through the end of the semester that FEMA revises or retires a FEMA course. Please reference the FCC Course List often for course updates.


Are CEU's (Continuing Education Units) the same as college credit?
No. CEU's are determined by IACET. College credit amounts are determined by Frederick Community College.

Are there any age restrictions on obtaining college credits?
Yes. FCC does not award credit to students that are 10 years of age or younger.

Does the college credit I earn through FCC transfer to other institutions?
Students are responsible for verifying acceptance of FCC FEMA credits by the receiving institution.

What level of credit are the college credits offered through FCC?
Lower-division 100 level credits.

How can I request enrollment verification when participating in FEMA credit conversion?
Certain situations require students to submit enrollment verification. Please reach out to MACEM&PS|FCC for a letter by e-mailing [email protected].

Note that converting FEMA course(s) does not denote full-time or part-time enrollment status per our Academic Standards.

When requirements change for FCC FEMA credits, can I receive more than 1 college credit?
MACEM&PS only awards 1 credit per FCC FEMA course. If you have already converted college credit for an FCC FEMA course, you cannot earn additional credit for the same course (even when requirements change).

How safe is my personal information?
All information is secured using the latest electronic data encryption standards. For further details, please review the Terms and Conditions policy here.

What should I do if my personal or contact information has changed?
Please reach out to MACEM&PS|FCC for assistance by e-mailing [email protected].

Why do you need my personal information, particularly FEMA SID number, date of birth and gender?
FEMA tracks your training record with a student identification number, also known as a FEMA SID. MACEM&PS at FCC will use this information to create your student record. FCC also asks for your date of birth and gender as a part of necessary information required for granting college credit.

Will I receive a 1098-T tax form for the Credit Conversion program?
The MACEM&PS at FCC collects payment for credit conversion fees and will gladly send you a receipt for payments made during the previous calendar year.

While 1098-T tax forms are issued for tuition payments only, you may use a receipt as proof of your credit conversion fee payment for purposes such as educational expenses. Please consult your personal tax accountant for further information.

Can a third party pay my college credit fee?
Yes. Simply enter the third-party payment details during checkout, or contact [email protected] to discuss additional payment options.

What is your refund procedure?
To request a refund, you must send an e-mail to [email protected] within a year of the date that you submitted your credit conversion request. Any refund request made after one year will not be honored.

Can I obtain a refund for FCC FEMA credit that has already been awarded and posted to my FCC transcript?
Refunds are not available for FCC FEMA credit that has already been awarded and posted to an FCC transcript.

I am having technical problems with the Credit Conversion Request Form. Who can I contact for assistance?
Contact MACEM&PS|FCC at: [email protected] or 301.624.2854

I am having technical problems with the FEMA EMI website. Who can I contact for assistance?
Please reference EMI’s technical information guide. If you continue to have trouble, you may reach out to the Independent Study Program (ISP) Office at 301.447.1200 or [email protected]. ISP Office hours are 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m. ET Monday – Friday, except federal holidays.

I am having technical problems with the FEMA CDP website. Who can I contact for assistance?
Student Services can be reached at 256.847.2132 or [email protected]. CDP Office hours are Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST.